Don't go swimming when you're wearing contact lenses-it can cause serious bacterial contamination that can sometimes result in blindness.
Londoner Irenie Ekkeshis has been campaigning to raise awareness about infection that can occur when water from swimming pools gets into the eyes when wearing contact lenses. She was blinded in one eye after she contracted a serious infection, Acanthamoeba keratitis. She wants contact lens manufacturers to put a warning symbol on packaging, and she has the support of Moorfields Eye Hospital in London. "The chances of contracting this very rare, but awful, infection can be minimised by following a simple rule: contact lenses and water should never mix," says Irenie,35.
It's not just water from swimming pools, either. Tap water, and water in hot tubs, showers, oceans and lakes can all carry the danger.
One option is to wear swimming goggles, but it's not a fool-proof solution as water can seep in under the mask. A better approach is to wear prescription goggles, and keep the contact lenses in their case, say experts.