You know fish is good for you and especially your heart, but you also know that eating too much fish increases your exposure to mercury. So what's the best thing to do?
The good news, according to Swedish researchers, is that we get beneficial effects from even the low levels of omega-3 in fish, and we'd have to eat huge amounts of fish before we began to suffer from mercury poisoning.
Overall, it's safe to eat fish two or three times a week, especially if we avoid 'predatory' fish like pike and perch, which have the highest levels of methylmercury from swimming in polluted waters.
Am J Clin Nutr, 2012; 96: 706-13