If you think mineral water is better for you than the stuff that comes out of the tap, think again - researchers have discovered high levels of bacteria in the bottles. Around 70 per cent of the bottles of mineral water contained unacceptably high levels of bacteria, researchers in Canada have discovered. More than 500 different colonies of bacteria were discovered in most of the bottles examined by researchers at the Ccrest Laboratories, who initiated their research after an employer became sick after drinking mineral water. The researchers say the bacteria do not necessarily cause disease, but vulnerable people - such as the elderly, the sick and pregnant women - should think twice before drinking bottled mineral water. (Source: 110th general meeting, American Society for Microbiology, San Diego, May 25, 2010).