A boy of 14 died just 12 hours after taking the acne drug Sebomin (minocycline). Although doctors say he suffered an "idiosyncratic reaction", the drug was supplied without a safety sheet, which may have saved his life.
The sheet warns patients not to take the drug before going to bed, which is when Shaun Jones took the drug. He complained of shortness of breath and tightness in his chest less than an hour later, and he died the following morning, 12 hours after taking the drug.
Sebomin was supplied to him because his usual acne medication, Minocin, was not available at his local pharmacy. After speaking with his doctor, the pharmacist instead gave Shaun the prescription drug Sebomin, which he said was virtually identical to Minocin. However, when she opened the pack, his mother recalled that the safety sheet was missing.
(Source: BBC website, February 25, 2009).