* High-risk conditions
- Unstable angina
- Heart attack (acute or recent)
- Heart failure
- Significant heart blockage
- Heart disease with arrhythmia
- Severe valvular heart disease
- Multiple intermediate-risk markers such as a previous heart attack, heart failure or diabetes.
* Intermediate-risk conditions
- Prior heart attack
- Prior heart failure
- Diabetes mellitus
- Kidney problems.
[ACC/AHA Guideline Update on Perioperative Cardiovascular Evaluation for Noncardiac Surgery: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Committee to Update the 1996 Guidelines on Perioperative Cardiovascular Evaluation for Noncardiac Surgery)]