Eighteen months ago, I had seven amalgam fillings removed by a dentist who paid no attention to procedures to protect patients. I started to feel really ill and got progressively worse until I found myself in hospital with agonising stomach pains. I was given morphine and thought I was dying. My legs were numb and tingly, I had muscle spasms and tremors and lost over a stone-and-a-half. After a month and various procedures (laparoscopy, endoscopy, colonoscopy, a barium meal, scans and blood tests), I was discharged as a 'medical mystery'.
Once home, I spent two months in pain - unable to sleep or move and barely getting better. In desperation, I visited a homoeopath, who suspected mercury poisoning after a two-hour consultation. Tests from Biolab confirmed this and I was referred to a London-based toxicologist, who started me on a course of detox. I have now beginning to lead a normal life, although I know that my body is still not totally rid of the poisonous substance.
I would like to sue the British Dental Association. It's about time something was done about lax dentists, as no one should have to go through what I went through - absolute hell!
I also recommend that anyone who embarks on a detox programme should do so slowly as the mobilisation of mercury can make you feel very ill. I took Biomer (Pharmaguard), which is basically MSM (250 mg), magnesium succinate (250 mg) and N-acetylcysteine (100 mg), three times a day - but not every day.
A healthy diet, plenty of water and gentle exercise are all good, although it is better to avoid overheating. Saunas can help, but only on occasions, as the heat will shift any mercury stored in tissues or organs. As mercury can disturb the usual gut bacteria, probiotics may help, depending on symptoms. To escort the mercury from the body, charcoal tablets and Chlorella algae may also be useful. Finally, you need a lot of patience. - Sophie Bradshaw, Hucclecote, Glos