Helping you make better health choices

In shops now or delivered to your home from only £3.50 an issue!

Subscribe!

ConditionsThe best calcium supplements

The best calcium supplements

They're touted as an insurance policy against osteoporosis, but which offers the best payoff?

They're touted as an insurance policy against osteoporosis, but which offers the best payoff?


We almost learn it at our mother's knee: calcium is good for our bones and teeth, and we must drink lots of milk to give us enough calcium to grow up to be strong, healthy adults. For years, this health message has been an article of faith. However, recent evidence is beginning to challenge the value of milk - certainly in later life (see box, p 2).

Calcium is the most common mineral in the human body - 99 per cent of it is in the bones and teeth, where it plays a structural role. The remaining 1 per cent is in body tissues and fluids, where it is essential for cell metabolism, blood-clotting, muscle contraction and nerve-impulse transmission.

There's more!

You're a click away from some of the best health information on the web!

If you're already a member please log in

We ask everyone to join the WDDTY site first. It's free to see the News and Community items, but Features and premium content are only available to Digital or Print & Digital Bundle Subscribers. Click here for more information.


You may also be interested in...

Latest Tweet

About

Since 1989, WDDTY has provided thousands of resources on how to beat asthma, arthritis, cancer, depression and many other chronic conditions.

Start by looking in our fully searchable database, active and friendly community forums and the latest health news.

Positive SSL Wildcard

Facebook Twitter Youtube

Most Popular Health Website of the Year 2014

© 2010 - 2016 WDDTY Publishing Ltd.
All Rights Reserved