Twice weekly e-news bulletins

Access to our News, Forums and Blogs
OR

If you want to read our in-depth research articles or
have our amazing magazine delivered to your home
each month, then you have to pay.

Click here if you're interested
Helping you make better health choices

In shops now or delivered to your home from only £3.50 an issue!

Subscribe!

Vitamins, Minerals for Aging

ianclements

7 Jul 2011 @ 17:09PM

There's little good evidence for anything that will reduce ageing. There is some, from animal studies, that a low calorie diet will do it; the jury is out.

As there's no such illness as 'old age', what is probably the best approach is to keep in optimal health or wellness and thus reduce the chance of any life-limiting illness.

The good news is that there are several indicators of optimal healthiness.

Exercising at least an average of 30' a day, with heart-rate above 50% max

Have a slim waist (ignore BMI), with a waist to buttock ratio of below 0.9; low visceral fat%

Have Vit.D3 levels above 125 nmol/L

Have homocysteine levels below 6

Have AA/EPA (part of the Essential Fatty Acids) between 1.5 and 3

Most of these can be achieved by a good diet - low carb, oily fish, fresh fruit and veggies, no processed meat, etc. However, if the above blood serum levels are out of whack, then it is easy to remedy with supplements (Vit.D3 4,000IU/day; pure fish oil 5gms/day; etc).

teresa.bright

7 Jul 2011 @ 16:33PM

The most powerful means of fighting the effects of aging is to drink alkaline antioxidant Kangen Water fresh daily.

I have personally witnessed how it has helped right away with type 2 diabetes, gout, inflammation etc....

helenann

7 Jul 2011 @ 12:54PM

If you look at www.brianpeskin.com you can see that fishoil is not good ! You need Parent Essential Oils (PEOs).

This is of the utmost importance as an anti cancer strategy.

Helen, The Netherlands

phillie

6 Jul 2011 @ 01:57AM

If you take B vitamins take the b complex as you can cause a deficiency in the other b's by only taking one of them.

ianclements

5 Jul 2011 @ 22:05PM

I strongly agree that Vit.D3 levels are critical.

There are 2 others equally so: homocysteine levels, and one's AA/EPA ratio (part of the EFAs - essential fatty acids). Get all three of these checked (it will cost); if they are not optimum (vit.D3 > 125nmol/L, homocysteine below 6, AA/EPA between 1.5 and 3), the get them there.

Vit.D3, as said, 4,000 - 5,000 IU/day (you can't overdose; my level is above 200 nmol/L)

If AA/EPA is above 3 (most peoples' is), then increase pure fish oil intake - 3-5gms/day

Homocysteine - if above 6, start taking: folic acid, Vits B2, B6, B12; magnesium, TMG, zinc

kmmckinley

5 Jul 2011 @ 19:05PM

Check out Protandim - it is a synergistic blend of 5 different herbs - milk thistle, green tea extract, bacopa, ashwaghanda, & tumeric. It is clinically proven to decrease inflamation levels by 40% in 30 days and 70% in 120 days! Eight of the studies done on this product have been published in peer-reviewed journals - no small feat for a supplement!! In any case, the signs of aging are often the result of high levels of inflamation. There was a study done linking Alzheimers to high levels of oxidative stress. You can view the studies at www.pub.med.gov and search Protandim. Or go to the following sites for more info: www.stopyourclock.com (just an informational site about the science behind it) or www.lifevantage.com/regeneration (the company site). There are about 20 other studies in the pipeline for a variety of diseases such as diabetes 1 & 2, pulmonary hypertension, heart disease, osteoarthitis, HIV,/AIDS, asthma, Hep A, B, & C, metabolic syndrome, etc.

I've been taking this supplement for 3 months now and have had dramatic improvements in focus, attention and memory. Also my joints are much more flexible and I have lots of energy and heal much, much quicker. Love it!

Jaytack

5 Jul 2011 @ 12:36PM

The most important vitamin for ALL age groups is vitamin D3 at a dose of 5,000 i.u. daily.

Anyone who lives in the UK is unable to get enough sunlight to produce their own Vitamin D and suplementation is essential - even more so in the dark skinned and those who live in the north. 150 years ago our ancestors mostly worked outdoors or walked much more. Slowly we have added more clothes, worked more indoors and travel in cars, buses etc. Either get a sunlamp or take suplements.

Low levels of D3 enable cancer to take hold, reduce immune system efficiency, and encourage insulin resistance leading to type 2 diabetes. Vitamin C at 4grams daily is also a great help.

If you can afford it, get blood tests to see all the relevant levels and then supplement to correct any defficiencies.

If you are worried about memory loss make sure you don't have dental amalgam fillings in your teeth - If you do, get them changed properly.

JJ

richard ponsonby

7 Jun 2011 @ 23:43PM

Not just statins. If she was taking any pharma drugs whilst taking Selenium, it won't be as effective.

gina.moore

7 Jun 2011 @ 18:36PM

But the proof of the benefit was that she lived to 89!

On the question of short term memory loss -- was she taking statins in later life? If so, that would have been the cause of the problem.

krusso

7 Jun 2011 @ 15:54PM

My mother took Selenium for 35 years. It really didn't help with her brain function. She died at age 89 with short term memory loss which she had for 15+ years.

Latest Tweet

About

Since 1989, WDDTY has provided thousands of resources on how to beat asthma, arthritis, depression and many other chronic conditions.

Start by looking in our fully searchable database, active and friendly community forums and the latest health news.

Positive SSL Wildcard

Facebook Twitter

Most Popular Health Website of the Year 2014

© 2010 - 2017 WDDTY Publishing Ltd.
All Rights Reserved